Chequamegon Mountain Bike Festival offers two mass start cross country style race distances geared towards all ability levels. Let the kids in on the fun with the Little Loggers Kids Crit!
Friday consists of bib pickup, food trucks, MBR beer festival, live music, retail sales, miles of bike trails, great conversations, fresh air, clean water and countless stars.
Saturday, race day is here along with a full day of activities including, awards ceremony, live music, food vendors, beer, kids race, vendors and much more!
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 13
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 14
• 5:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. Bikes can be dropped off and placed in your assigned gate corral at the Cheq 40 start in Hayward
• 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. CHEQUAMEGON 40 bib pickup only at Primary School/Hayward
• 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. SHORT & FAT bib pickup only at Great Hall
• 10:00 a.m. CHEQUAMEGON 40 START at Primary School/Hayward
• 10:00 a.m. SHORT & FAT START at The Great Hall 14875 McNaught Rd, Cable, WI
• 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. MBR Festival, Sponsor & Vendor Expo at Great Hall
• 10:45 a.m. Short & Fat First Finisher at Great Hall
• 12:00 p.m. Chequamegon 40 First Finisher at Great Hall
• 1:00 p.m. CHEQUAMEGON 40 PRO/ELITE START
• 2:00 p.m. Short & Fat Awards at Great Hall
• 4:00 p.m. Cheq 40 Awards at Great Hall
• 4:30 p.m. Little Loggers Kids Bike Event at Great Hall
• 5:00 p.m. Bike valet closes at Great Hall
• New - 5:00 p.m. Sawmill Saloon is hosting the CAMBA after party
• 5:00-8:00 p.m. CAMBA Fundraiser followed by live music at Sawmill Saloon
• 8:00-11:00 p.m. Live Music at Sawmill Saloon
The race courses are fairly consistent in routing from year to year, however, each year's actual race course may be impacted by current weather and trail tread conditions.
The Chequamegon 40 and Short & Fat courses are usually marked by Labor Day weekend. Those planning to pre-ride the course please note that at the beginning and end of the Chequamegon 40 course the route crosses private land for which we have an easement only on race day. Also sections of the race course are on shared use motorized trails. Those users do not anticipate bicycle traffic on their trails other than race weekend. Caution and courtesy is urged. Some of the grassy trail sections may not be mowed early in the season.
The Short & Fat 16 race course is permanently marked as part of the Chequamegon Area Mountain Bike Trail system. Only the last .75 miles or so is on private land at Mt. Telemark.
The course map is meant for a general reference and is not suitable for navigation unless you have a good sense of where the race course actually traverses. Remember that the race courses are not closed to other user traffic.
Any questions about the race courses should be directed to the race office at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Race-day parking notes
As a sizeable fleet of out of town cars descends on Cable and Hayward on race day, one question is in everyone’s mind is, “Where do I park?” On race morning, where and how you leave your car will leave a lasting impression on the area’s residents and law enforcement officials. With common sense and courtesy prevailing, you can make that impression a positive one.
First, please avoid filling up the local business lots in Hayward with your vehicles. The area businesses will need their parking spaces for their regular customers while you are out cycling from Point A to Point B. In addition please observe all posted restrictions and respect private property access when parking on residential side streets.
Parking lot recommendations in Hayward
> Click here to view the Hayward parking map
• Parking Lot - Fifth St & Wisconsin Ave.
• First Lutheran Church lot – Nyman Ave near Main St.
• Hayward Wesleyan Church lot – Hwy 27 & Nyman Ave
• People’s National Bank lot – Second St. & Dakota Ave
• Hayward Primary & Intermediate School lot – Sixth St. & Minnesota Ave
• Hayward City lot – Hwy 63 & Hwy 27
No parking areas in Hayward
• Main St between Railroad St and Wittwer Rd
• East side of Nyman between Main Street & Hwy 27 (it’s a bike lane)
• Please do not leave your vehicles in local business lots during the event
• Chicago: 8 hours
• Dubuque: 5 hours
• Duluth/Superior: 1.5 hours
• Green Bay: 5 hours
• Madison: 6 hours
• Milwaukee: 7 hours
• Minneapolis/St. Paul: 3 hours
• Rockford: 7 hours
• Wausau: 3 hours
Only rider support vehicles with vehicle passes, race official vehicles, local residents and hunter traffic will be allowed on the following roads from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. during the running of the Chequamegon 40 and Short & Fat events:
Town of Spider Lake
• Telemark Road/Spider Lake Fire Lane from Clear Lake Road north to the town line
• Boedecker Road from the town line east to Spider Lake Fire Lane
• Janet Road from the town line north to Boedecker Road
Town of Lenroot
• Boedecker Road from Northern Lights Road east to the town line
• Janet Road from OO north to the town line
Town of Cable
• Spider Lake Fire Lane from Telemark Road south to the town line
• Randysek Road from the Town of Cable south to SMT 22
These road restrictions have been implemented to increase the safety of the riders during the event.
PLEASE NOTE! Those providing nutritional support for elite racers along the race route will be required to obtain a vehicle permit from race headquarters prior to race morning to access the course.
Contact the event headquarters in advance at email@example.com or stop in the race headquarters up until Friday the night before the event to obtain your vehicle pass. Thank you for observing the road closed signs and the instructions of the course monitors along the race route.
Registration for the Sept. 14, 2019 Chequamegon MTB Festival events NOW OPEN
Registration will close when the limits are reached or on September 1 which ever comes first.
Saturday, September 14, 2019
Saturday, September 19, 2020
Saturday, September 18, 2021
The Chequamegon MTB Festival weekend is always scheduled the second weekend following Labor Day Monday.
As Labor Day moves on the calendar, so does event weekend.
Chequamegon MTB Festival, Inc.
P.O. Box 267
Cable, WI 54821.
13460 Spruce Street
Cable, WI 54821.
Email our media team for athlete interviews, event information and credentials to the event on race weekend.